Photo of attorneys and staff at Harwell Gray Legal Counsel LLC

Serious Advocacy In Tough Cases

How Can New Forensic Evidence Help My Case?

On Behalf of | Mar 28, 2022 | Post-Conviction Relief

After a wrongful conviction for a loved one, you may be worried about what you can do next. Despite the conviction, the case is not yet over, and an appeal or post-conviction relief motion can be made to fight for your loved one. Our Indianapolis post-conviction relief attorneys at Harwell Gray Legal Counsel LLC share how forensic evidence can help following the conviction of a loved one.

Challenging Guilt With New Evidence

If new evidence is found following the conviction of a loved one, you may present it to the court to challenge your loved one’s guilt with a post-conviction relief motion. A post-conviction relief motion is an alternative to an appeal in which new evidence can be used to challenge the guilt of a convicted person.

The Use Of Forensic Evidence

At the time of the initial case hearing, forensic evidence may not have been presented to support your case. If new forensic evidence is found or processed following the proceedings, it can be used in a post-conviction relief motion if it challenges the guilt of the convicted individual. Forensic evidence can include:

  • Fingerprint identification,
  • DNA sampling,
  • Blood sampling, and
  • Gunshot residues.

While these services should be provided at the time of the case, you may find new situations in which this evidence becomes available following the resolution of the case and conviction of your loved one. Once you have this evidence available to you, you should inform your attorney. With this new evidence, your attorney can begin the process of filing a post-conviction relief motion and preparing for your loved one’s appeal.

Indianapolis Post-Conviction Relief Attorneys

At Harwell Gray Legal Counsel LLC, we understand how overwhelming a wrongful conviction may be. If you believe that you or a loved one was wrongfully convicted of a crime and there is new evidence to challenge that court-assumed guilt, we can file a motion for post-conviction relief. Everyone deserves representation that believes in them, and we believe that our clients deserve the best possible outcomes in their cases.

Is there new evidence that can challenge your or a loved one’s guilt? Schedule a free consultation with our attorneys today by calling 317-344-9085or filling out our online contact form.