We Service Our Clients In English & Spanish
We Offer Affordable & Flexible Payment Plans
We Offer Free Consultations For All Legal Matters
Indianapolis Drug Crime Lawyer
Harwell Legal Counsel Takes an Aggressive Approach to Your Defense
For more than 10 years, Harwell Legal Counsel has delivered top-quality criminal defense services to clients facing a variety of charges. We know how drug crime cases are prosecuted in Indiana, and we can put our knowledge and experience to work for you. Our Indianapolis drug crime defense attorney works hard to provide clients with the compassionate yet strong legal representation that helps them feel supported in court. We treat every case with the seriousness it deserves.
Types of Drug Crimes
Criminal cases involving controlled substances can lead to drug crime charges. These cases tend to be complicated, and you may be facing a combination of charges, including misdemeanors and felonies. The circumstances of your case will determine how a prosecutor pursues your case and what charges you will be facing.
Common drug crime charges may involve:
- Marijuana charges
- Schedule I drug charges
- Methamphetamine charges
- Prescription drug crimes
- Drug-related DUI charges
- Possession or possession with the intent to sell
- Selling to minors or near a school
- Drug manufacturing and cultivation
- Drug trafficking or distribution
The type of drugs associated with your case can have an impact on how your case is prosecuted, as well. Drugs are categorized by the federal government into five schedules, with Schedule I drugs being those identified as highly addictive or highly dangerous. Schedule I drugs include heroin, LSD, ecstasy, and marijuana.
Is possession of a controlled substance a felony in Indiana?
A possession of a controlled substance in Indiana can be a Level 6 felony or a Class A misdemeanor. Indiana defines controlled substance as a drug or substance or its immediate precursor listed in one of five categories or schedules of drugs. Drugs are categorized in Schedules 1 - 5, and are categorized in the following:
- Schedule I: Are drugs that have high potential for abuse and no effective treatment in the US and include drugs such as heroin, LSD, ecstasy, marijuana, and peyote.
- Schedule II: Drugs that have have high potential for abuse but also have medical treatment uses and include drugs such as: hydrocodone, cocaine, methamphetamine, fentanyl, oxycodone, Ritalin, and Adderall.
- Schedule III: Drugs that can lead to moderate or low dependence and for which the US has approved medical treatments that can be effective; includes drugs such as 90 milligrams or less of codeine per dose, anabolic steroids, testosterone, ketamine.
- Schedule IV: Drugs where usage can lead to limited physical or psychological dependence compared to the drugs listed above; includes drugs such as Valium, Darvon, Xanax, Darvocet, Ativan, Tramadol, and Ambien.
- Schedule V: Drugs usage can lead to limited physical or psychological dependence compared to the drugs listed above; includes drugs such as lower doses of codeine (like those in Robitussin AC), Lyrica, Motofen, Lomotil, and Parapectolin.
We Go Above & Beyond for Our Clients
At Harwell Legal Counsel, we know how devastating a conviction can be. Having a drug crime conviction on your record can negatively impact your future. The penalties of a conviction include fines, jail time, community service, probation, and mandatory rehabilitation programs. A conviction can also affect your ability to find stable employment and secure housing. If you are a juvenile, a conviction may also affect your ability to attend college. Our Indianapolis drug crime defense lawyer can help you protect your rights and your future.