DUI Lawyer Indianapolis
Defense for Your DUI Charges in Indiana
DUI charges are serious. In addition to fines and jail time, the penalties of a conviction can include a loss of your driving privileges and mandatory community service and rehabilitation programs. A conviction can have a lasting impact on your life and can inhibit your ability to work and take care of your family. With so much at stake, it is recommended that you work with an experienced DUI attorney familiar with how these cases are handled in Indiana.
Always Take DUI Charges Seriously
If you are found to have a blood alcohol content (BAC) over the legal limit of .08, you may be charged with a DUI. Additionally, if you are a minor or under the age of 21, you may also face charges associated with the unlawful possession and use of alcohol. DUI charges can be complicated, and the circumstances of your case will determine how you are charged.
For example, if this is your first offense, you may be charged with a misdemeanor, whereas if you have past DUI convictions or other compounding factors, you may be facing felony charges.
We can help fight your DUI charges involving the following and more:
- Underage drinking
- DUI with a minor in the vehicle
- Injuries resulting from a DUI incident
- Alcohol-related DUIs
- First offense DUI arrest
- Second or subsequent DUI arrest
- Drug- and controlled substance-related DUIs
Indiana First-Offense DUI
For a first-offense OWI in Indiana, you could be facing either a misdemeanor or felony charge. The charges are as follows:
- Class C Misdemeanor: intoxicated by alcohol or drugs, BAC was between 0.08% - 0.15%, or intoxicated by a Schedule I or II substance punishable by up to 60 days in jail and a $500 fine
- Class A Misdemeanor: BAC of 0.15% or more, endangered another person by their driving is punishable by up to 1 year in jail and $5,000 fine
- Level 6 Felony: at least 21 years old, had BAC of 0.15% or more, endangered another person by their driving, or had a passenger under 18 present is punishable by up to 2.5 years in jail and $10,000 fine
If you have been arrested under suspicion of DUI, you may be feeling overwhelmed and scared. You are not alone. Indiana prosecutors are particularly aggressive when pursuing DUI charges. However, you do have options. Our skilled DUI lawyer in Indianapolis can help you understand the charges brought against you and can provide you with the guidance you need.
Is OWI or DUI worse in Indiana?
In Indiana, OWI refers to operating a vehicle while under the influence of drugs from prescription drugs, narcotics, pills, marijuana. DUI refers to operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol. You can get an OWI while the car is idle and not moving, you can still get an OWI in your own driveway, private land, as long as the engine is on and you are on the driver's seat.
We Work Hard to Protect Client Rights
At Harwell Legal Counsel, we believe in providing customers with aggressive yet compassionate legal representation. We treat every case with care and every client with respect. Our Indianapolis DUI attorney can help you with every aspect of your case from start to finish. We can also help with post-conviction services, including appeals. When you need a reliable DUI lawyer, call us.
“problem solvers. good people. great service.”- David
“very attentive”- Andrea
“He works hard for his clients”- Mark